on April 29, 2011 at 1:09 PM
HB 251 has passed--unanimously, 116-0, in the Florida House of Representatives today!!!!!!!!
Here is what the passed bill includes:
by Judiciary Committee and Appropriations Committee and Criminal Justice Subcommittee and Dorworth (CO-SPONSORS) Eisnaugle; Julien; Kiar; Pafford; Porth
Sexual Offenses: Cites act as "Walk in Their Shoes Act";
- Permits admission of evidence of defendant's commission of other crimes, wrongs, or acts of sexual nature in criminal case in which defendant is charged with crime of sexual nature;
- Revises offenses considered "child molestation" for such purposes;
- Authorizes use of service or therapy animals in courts hearing sexual offense cases under certain circumstances;
- Requires property or material constituting child pornography used in criminal proceeding to remain in care, custody, & control of state attorney or court;
- Prohibits reproduction of such property or material by defendant when specified criteria are met by state attorney; permits access by defendant;
- Requires emergency room to arrange for gathering of forensic medical evidence from victims who desire evidence for possible future report of sexual battery;
- Requires law enforcement officer to provide or arrange for transportation of victim of sexual violence to facility for medical treatment or forensic examination;
- Provides for review of officer's final report by victim & opportunity for statement;
- Provides for prosecution for video voyeurism within 1 year after victim of video voyeurism obtains actual knowledge of recording or recording is confiscated by law enforcement agency;
- Requires additional court cost in cases of certain criminal offenses to be deposited into Rape Crisis Program Trust Fund;
- Provides for hepatitis testing of persons charged with certain offenses;
- Requires that public schools provide health education addressing Internet safety.
Effective Date: July 1, 2011
Last Event: Passage on third reading on Friday, April 29, 2011 11:27 AM
It goes to the Senate as SB 488 for a vote next week, so PLEASE call and email your Senators and urge them to support this legislation!!!
Thank you so much for all of your support,
Change committee chair